The Tucker-O'Brien Log Cabin
This cabin was built in 1852 by Thomas Tucker, who brought his family from Massachusetts that year and settled in the township of Eastman. In 1867, Hannah, the widow of Thomas Tucker, and his children deeded the property to Michael Donahue, the husband of a Tucker daughter, Katherine. The Donahues resided there until Mr. Donahue’s death when the widow went to reside with a son, Joe, an Eastman carpenter.
In 1926, Lawarence Swaatek purchased the land and home from the Donahue heirs. Over a period of years other acreage had been added to the farm. Lawrence Swatek and his wife, Gladys, added rooms to the home and covered the original log cabin with wood siding as their family grew.
Aloyd O’Brien and his wife, Marie, acquired the cabin from Gladys Swatek in 1964 after the death of her husband. Their son, Dale O’Brien, his wife, Mary, and their two children lived there a short while. Wayne O’Brien, and his wife, Bernadette came into possession of the farm shortly thereafter. The house was rented to various tenants.
In 1979, Dennis O’Brien, son of Wayne and Bernadette, married Marlene Prew. The O’Briens gave the newlyweds the cabin and some land. The home was being razed when Virginia O’Brien, aunt of Wayne, came upon the scene. She urged them to contact Leita Slayton, as she knew of Leita’s Log Cabin project at Gays Mills, and the historical value of the cabin. As a result, the cabin was painstakingly disassembled, the parts were carefully labeled, and it was moved to Gays Mills where it was later rebuilt on this site.