The Wauzeka Ridge School House
When Ferdinand Weniger settled in Plum Creek near Wauzeka, he raised quite a family and donated some land for a school, but there weren’t enough settlers in the area to justify a school. In the 1850’s the Dolls settled on Wauzeka Ridge. They also had a big family and also donated land for a school. Finally, due to the increased population of the area, a joint school district was formed (District #8) drawing students from Wauzeka (34) and Eastman (16). This log school building was built for these 50 students. It was a one room school house serving eight grades with one teacher.
Throughout the years several changes in the building were mandated by the state. A porch was added with two doors and more windows were installed. Finally, in 1940, with the consolidation of the school districts, this school house was abandoned. It was then used to store grain and corn until it was donated to the Log Cabin Village by Paul Doll. The cabin was moved in 1978.